Welcome to TheBivvy forum - to make the most of our forum, please register. Otherwise, please feel free to browse as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to TheBivvy forum - to make the most of our forum, please register. Otherwise, please feel free to browse as a guest.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Our Friends!

Pallatrax

Kryston Advanced Angling

FishHereApp

24-7 fishing

4 posters

Cudmore Fishery; Staffordshire

clint4782
    clint4782

Cudmore Fishery; Staffordshire Empty Cudmore Fishery; Staffordshire

Post by clint4782 Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:59 am

Cudmore Fishery
    Pleck Lane
    Whitmore
    Newcastle under Lyme
    Staffordshire
    ST5 5HW

Cudmore Fishery; Staffordshire Cudmorecarp040

Cudmore Fishery is recognised as one of the biggest and best in the UK. Since its conception as commercial venue in the early 1990’s, it has steadily progressed to become an established match, pleasure and specimen venue with over 1000 swims available to visiting anglers! Managed by Cyril Brewster, Cudmore currently has 20 fishable pools, an on site restaurant, tackle shop, plentiful secure car parking and is also home to the National Match Centre; the fairest competition site in the country.

I visited on a rainy May weekend and found Cudmore to be full of anglers who braved the weather. Frank Clarke, who oversees the daily running of the venue, was kind enough to take some time out of his busy schedule to let me know a bit more about the fishery. Frank runs Cudmore with the assistance of 3 permanent staff and 6 bailliffs who are on hand to offer advice and guidance to anglers. Fully qualified angling coaching is also available from top anglers Andy May, Dave Smith and Karl Humphries who will show you exactly what to do to make the most of your visit. All styles of angling are catered for, so whatever you want to achieve can be made possible at Cudmore.

Frank explained that two of the main waters have been remodelled for the forthcoming season. Tara Lake, previously well known as a ‘runs’ water, has been fully drained, re-contoured, and restocked with predators; pike ranging from 7-25lbs and catfish between 20-45lbs compete with a host of quality perch to over 5lbs, so plenty of big fish to target for specimen anglers. Milo Lake has been completely restyled as well with better pegging and bankside access, the water has been changed to offer the opportunity of a ‘personal best’ in a variety of species. All carp have been removed to allow the other stock to grow on and attain ‘specimen’ weights. Chub, barbel, tench, bream and perch all reach huge sizes and it is now the perfect place to break a record! Milo has been designed for those visitors who want to fish lighter tackle and methods without the risk of a specimen carp smashing them up!

Adelaide is now the venues ‘runs’ water. An amalgamation of new pools 3 & 4, its stocked with plenty of beefy carp up to around 15lbs to provide a day of rod bending action in pleasant surroundings. Expect a surprise occasionally though; cats up to 34lbs will pick up the odd bait! If you truly want a huge specimen, then Avoca Lake is the place to try; carp to over 30lbs and catfish to an amazing 50lbs are frequently caught, with rumours of much bigger fish constantly doing the rounds. Boilies, halibut pellets and paste baits do most of the damage, especially ‘popped up’ or on ‘the method’.

The National Angling Centre is truly an outstanding match venue; all canal style waters have been computer designed to ensure a completely fair chance for all anglers, so it all comes down to skill! Brewster’s, Suez and the New pools offer hundred’s of match pegs between 2-8 feet deep with bankside cover both sides and the circular Arena pool has a central island for each competitor to hit. The moneybags ‘Fish o’ Mania’ contest backed by Sky television and many of the major angling manaufaturers is now contracted to Cudmore for a considerable time and is a reflection of how good this match fishery really is. Club and open matches are also held weekly, so you have a chance to rub shoulders with ‘star’ matchman in the fight for Kamasan points!

To provide continuity for the fishing at Cudmore, an intensive restocking and breeding programme is also managed on site. Several stocking, nursery pools and an effective netting strategy are in place to guarantee that Cudmore protects and maintains its own fish stocks to replenish and stock further planned waters and enhance the existing bio mass.

Cudmore has its own retail outlet, extensively stocked with everything from bait to bedchairs! Products from Fox, Dynamite, Preston, Shimano etc fill a good sized shop situated within the main reception area. Prices are comparable with any other retailer, so just because it’s at the venue, it doesn’t mean you have to pay extra! If you are like me and always forget something, the chances are it’s in the shop! There is a huge choice of bait sold in the shop; Cudmore rules state that certain baits must be purchased from the fishery to protect the fish stocks and ensure poorly prepared bait doesn’t enter the water. Pellets, groundbait, boilies and other offerings are all sold at reasonable cost. Backed by Stapeley Angling, the tackle shop has a huge variety of items to help you have a successful day.

Whether you fish commercial waters or not, Cudmore is without doubt one of the best in the country at providing almost certain sport whatever the weather and whatever your chosen style of angling. Effective management has seen the venue progress from a trout fishery into today’s National event venue, working in partnership with the angling trade and other agencies has firmly cemented Cudmore’s established reputation for providing fantastic fishing and innovative new ideas for other commercial waters to try and emulate; can you break a record at Cudmore?? Give it a try; visit www.cudmorefishery.co.uk for the very latest information, or ring Frank Clarke on 01782680919 to find out more.
    Dan
    Dan
    The Bivvy Regular
    The Bivvy Regular

Cudmore Fishery; Staffordshire Empty Re: Cudmore Fishery; Staffordshire

Post by Dan Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:16 am

I do love cudmore, its brilliant to have a venue like this on my doorstep.

Have enjoyed my most succesful days there and my worst days Smile

It is well ran, clean and fairly priced.
    crispy
    crispy

Post by crispy Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:08 am

Adelaides has a 60+ cat in escaped at netting and some huge perch
    Dan
    Dan
    The Bivvy Regular
    The Bivvy Regular

Post by Dan Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:46 am

Really really really want to catch a cat Crispy, something for me to aim for this year.
    crispy
    crispy

Post by crispy Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:16 am

No probs we will sort it matey
    Dan
    Dan
    The Bivvy Regular
    The Bivvy Regular

Post by Dan Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:26 am

Hope so ! It will be a busy year for me, but if i Can get a cat in!
    clint4782
    clint4782

Post by clint4782 Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:30 am

Get off my venue review! Mad Very Happy
    Dan
    Dan
    The Bivvy Regular
    The Bivvy Regular

Post by Dan Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:32 am

Sorry clint Very Happy