Welcome to TheBivvy forum - to make the most of our forum, please register. Otherwise, please feel free to browse as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to TheBivvy forum - to make the most of our forum, please register. Otherwise, please feel free to browse as a guest.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Our Friends!

Pallatrax

Kryston Advanced Angling

FishHereApp

24-7 fishing

4 posters

Decisions Decisions - Can you help ? :D

Dan
    Dan
    The Bivvy Regular
    The Bivvy Regular

Decisions Decisions - Can you help ? :D Empty Decisions Decisions - Can you help ? :D

Post by Dan Thu May 17, 2012 1:30 am

I have been in my current job for 3 years, after spending many years flitting about trying to find somewhere to settle down.

I do love my job, however I have nowhere else to go in terms of promotion and pay, BUT i love my job!

My wife is pregnant, and in august time she will go on maternity, which means that there is less pay coming in.

I have been offered a job that is better pay, with company car and fuel card (only costing me £50 in tax!) and there is LOADS AND LOADS of potential for me to progress – It is longer hours (which I dont mind) but to start off with I will potentially be on a basic of £2000 more a year with bonuses on top.

The job In question is recession proof due to the industry it is in – However I am a bit scared of “change” and is the grass greener?

What do you think guys? I am desperate to progress, but where I am now, there is 0% chance.
    BertieBiggins
    BertieBiggins
    The Bivvy Regular
    The Bivvy Regular

Decisions Decisions - Can you help ? :D Empty Re: Decisions Decisions - Can you help ? :D

Post by BertieBiggins Thu May 17, 2012 2:17 am

We have already discussed this as you know, but thought I'd put my thoughts forward on here.

Pluses and minues on both really I think mate, I think its a case of either staying where you are and having the stability, job satisfaction and being safe in your job and have the peace of mind that you can support your family.

Or, you take the risk of pastures new and 'give it a good go' to see if you both like it, and succeed on in the role. Down side being you might hate it, hate the boss, want out and by then you will either be stuck in a job you hate or be back switching from job to job on less than you were before. But you will have more money coming in and you may quickly climb the ladder.

I really don't know what to say for the best mate, the whole situation is made worst by the fact you will soon have a family relying on you, not just yourself if you know what I mean!

It all depends on what vibe you got from the job offer bloke, if there is something about it that makes you want to do it I'd go for it. You have a good 3 years experience on your CV which will stand you in good stead going forward and it may be a case of always wondering 'what if' about the new job!!

Not much help I know, but hope I have given some food for thought.......

What does every one think?
    BertieBiggins
    BertieBiggins
    The Bivvy Regular
    The Bivvy Regular

Decisions Decisions - Can you help ? :D Empty Re: Decisions Decisions - Can you help ? :D

Post by BertieBiggins Thu May 17, 2012 2:19 am

Also, Laura should be on full pay on maternity shouldnt she? Thought it was full for the first 6 months and then down to half for the next 6 if taken?
    Dan
    Dan
    The Bivvy Regular
    The Bivvy Regular

Post by Dan Thu May 17, 2012 2:25 am

Its full for the first 6 weeks mate then £135.00 a week after that for 6 months
    BertieBiggins
    BertieBiggins
    The Bivvy Regular
    The Bivvy Regular

Post by BertieBiggins Thu May 17, 2012 2:28 am

Thats rubbish! I always though it was full pay! I'm not have a baby now thats for sure.... lol
    Dan
    Dan
    The Bivvy Regular
    The Bivvy Regular

Post by Dan Thu May 17, 2012 2:29 am

Its not even full pay --

First 6 weeks its 90% of pay - after that its £135
    BertieBiggins
    BertieBiggins
    The Bivvy Regular
    The Bivvy Regular

Post by BertieBiggins Thu May 17, 2012 2:34 am

Every day's a school day! lol

Thats rubbish then chap, proper pants.
    Dan
    Dan
    The Bivvy Regular
    The Bivvy Regular

Post by Dan Thu May 17, 2012 2:42 am

Exactly - If I move to this job it works out we will be 400 short a month as opposed to 600
    BertieBiggins
    BertieBiggins
    The Bivvy Regular
    The Bivvy Regular

Post by BertieBiggins Thu May 17, 2012 2:43 am

She'll have you out DJ'ing 5 nights a week mate! Wink lol

When have you got to let him know by? And did my answer help any?
    Dan
    Dan
    The Bivvy Regular
    The Bivvy Regular

Post by Dan Thu May 17, 2012 2:54 am

He is sending me a written offer and no Very Happy
    clint4782
    clint4782

Post by clint4782 Thu May 17, 2012 3:32 am

Being in a job that sucks, sucks. I've been in my job for the last 17 years, and if I wasn't 'pensioned in' I'd leave now. There is the potential for advancement, but at cost of becoming a 'yes man' and promotion comes at little financial reward, but loads of extra grief....SO; if something came up which paid the same, and gave me the opportunity to progress and earn more,with the same pension, then I'd go. The job you are in, it doesn't really matter who you do it for, just what you will get! (Or have the potential to earn)

If it's a choice between £400 and £600 down per month, I'd take the £400 everytime....£50 a week puts fuel in the tank or food on the table...... I take a £5k pay drop in July, I'm not looking forward to it, but I no longer have to do night cover....I will gladly forfeit £5k to get my home life back.......At the end of the day, it's about you, but it's also about family; if you have the chance to move a job with better pay and prospects, then you have a responsibility to take it......especially if it's doing the same thing!
    Ashcity76
    Ashcity76
    The Bivvy Regular
    The Bivvy Regular

Post by Ashcity76 Thu May 17, 2012 5:44 am

Im in the scenario mentioned above im stuck in a job i hate with people i wouldn't piss on if they were on fire and brown nosers galore. although my lady is ready to drop im looking elsewhere risky i know but better than me losing my job for saying my piece at work. id go for it mate i will be if i find something even vaguely better. Only reason im still there is i get weekends off but even that isn't enough to keep me sane

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 7:27 am